CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Adam Lambert Talks....

Adam Lambert talks sex, singing and nail polish



In Toronto to promote his new album, everyone’s favourite runner-up takes time to share his style secrets with Ben Kaplan over a manicure. 

Ben Kaplan, National Post  Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"I think people take sex too seriously," Adam Lambert says as we lean back in our chairs at the hair salon while two gorgeous women futz with our nails. "It's really not that big a deal."

Lambert has become a big deal since he was introduced on last year's American Idol. With his guyliner and Adam Ant hair, Lambert, the runner-up on one of the most popular TV shows of all time, became as well known for his theatrics as for his voice. 

"I wear nail polish regularly, but the makeup is for special occasions," says Lambert, who, in his black clothes, heavy makeup and silver necklaces, looks a bit like Captain Jack Sparrow auditioning for True Blood. "I love Lady Gaga, not only because she's a great writer and singer, but she's a performance artist and a club kid. I like that."

In Toronto to talk up For Your Entertainment, his debut gold record released in November, Lambert comes across as nonchalant, friendly and keen to keep his fame in perspective.

After all, he was an understudy in a production of Wicked before hearing the siren call of reality TV. From the outset, the singer was mindful of how he came across on television. 

"I like playing dress-up, I like going out, I like taking pride in how I look," he says, citing David Bowie, Boy George, Mötley Crüe and Michael Jackson as influences. "My look is androgynous and over-the-top, but makeup and nail polish are just part of the story. Musicians used to want to feel sexy, I honestly don't know what changed." 

I can report that the gun metal nail polish actually does make me feel sort of sexy - though it's a look better suited to the Grammy Awards, where Lambert will act as a fashion consultant for Entertainment Tonight, than the produce department at your local No Frills, but Lambert insists nail polish is just a cool shirt for your hands.

"People assume if you're wearing nail polish you're gay, but I know more straight dudes that wear makeup and nail polish than I know gay guys who do," says Lambert, whose sexuality became a topic of debate during the run-up to last year's Idol finale. Whether or not Lambert was gay was discussed on the cover of Entertainment Weekly before the singer finally announced he was on the cover of Rolling Stone.
"I've been out since I was 18, [so] it was funny to me: ‘He came out,' I've been out, yo," says Lambert, adding that the only reason he didn't tell the world prior to his Rolling Stone cover is that American Idol forbids its final 13 contestants from talking to the press until the winner is announced. "Did you see what I did on the show? I was in rhinestones and glitter platform boots; if that doesn't say it, I don't know what could."

Lambert has been an outspoken provocateur since American Idol gave him a platform. The singer sparked a controversy with his performance at November's American Music Awards, where a portion of his choreography mimed oral sex.

"Not to criticize him, but Eminem's song actually says the Slim Shady character had 17 rapes. That's OK to talk about, but the minute someone in a choreographed way stimulates a sex act, that's the outrage?" Lambert asks. "I know it's a taboo because I'm a gay guy, but I'm not going to perform any differently than how I want to. Believe me, I'm not going to make anyone's children anything different than what they already are."

Lambert will turn 28 on Friday. And even though the manicurists motions to me that I can come back later and have my gun metal paint removed, I opt to keep it. I'm looking forward to showing the look off to my wife.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment